SsangYong Rexton - any good, who has one ?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 19:24
ThreadID: 58610 Views:9802 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
presently looking for a new vehicle and am impressed with the Rexton

Don't require a dedicated 4x4 like the Troopy (gf has one) or similar large 4WD because we only need it to tow a boat and be capable on rough dirt roads and with very reasonable fuel economy, being comfortable is a prerequisite as it will be a daily driver.

LINK:-> SsangYong Rexton

Yes, I can live without the Nissan v Toyota arguments too !!

Mainey . . .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phillip S (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 19:39

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 19:39
Mainey, If you like it ....buy it....what difference does our opinion make in the end...however I don't like em, never have... I would probably go for Pajero or Prado (about the same class)....that's the way I am....WHAT DO YOU WANT AND WHAT DO YOU WANT IT TO DO...these questions only you can answer.
AnswerID: 309076

Reply By: stefan P (Penrith NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 20:23

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 20:23
I believe they are as good as most of the stuff out there

Might bite ya bum come trade in time.....but if you are going to keep it for yonks who cares about that

Stefan
AnswerID: 309087

Reply By: nsngood - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 20:25

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 20:25
G'Day I have a customer of our workshop who has the rexton and also the musso.He has had next to no problems with either of these vehicles.One minor problem involving wiring to the fuel pump (I think ???). This was sorted out with the mininum of fuss by the dealer and at no expense to him.He does pretty well what it sounds like you will be doing, he tows a horse float with one and the is set up for work and gets feed etc. While it would not be my personal choice i can see no reason to bag these vehicles as they are comfortable economical and reasonable on the service costs.Like any of the newer 4wd/awds i probably wouldn"t be taking them down major fire trails and the like.Soft sand etc no probs these two vehicle run on the soft sugar like sand in perths southern suburbs without any dramas.
In the end drive the vehicle if you like it buy it...;=)
AnswerID: 309089

Follow Up By: GerryP - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 20:49

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 20:49
Sounds like a chap I work with here in SA - may well be the same bloke going by your description nsngood. Ideal for what he and the missus want, that is, towing the horse float and also a daily ride. Virtually no problems with either vehicle.

If you want to go remote, then spares and repairs will be an issue should something unfortunate happen - needs to be taken into consideration.

Cheers
Gerry
FollowupID: 575125

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 00:11

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 00:11
Biggest problem with them seems to be the resale value.

Which makes us winners cos we just bought a 2nd hand Musso for less than half the equivalent of the sexy brands of similar level.

We'll run it into the ground as we do over the next few years....so resale doesn't matter to us.
FollowupID: 575168

Reply By: Member - Gareth P (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 20:36

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 20:36
I Agree with Phillip (WA), if you like it go for it. However, it depends what your are wanting to use it for, and where you want to go. I had an XJ turbo diesel Cherokee to get me into the 4x4 market many years ago, and the only place a could get a replacement brake light globe was from a Jeep dealer. The point I'm trying to make is that a less common car can sometimes be a bit of a curse. I now own a Nissan Patrol, as most people around the country know them, or know how to get them going. Check out the spare parts cost, fillters etc.. as parts can be pricey, and trying to fit simple mods to them can also take more time and money than what it is worth. Food for thought, and good luck.
AnswerID: 309091

Reply By: Member - Jason & Jodie - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 20:46

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 20:46
Hey Mainey,

I have a Discovery, very reliable 02 TD5. I bought spare air & fuel filters & a main drive belt & they cost considerably less than my brother-in-laws cruiser parts. My point is that imports are now not the expensive on parts.
The point about replacement in remote area's is a good one though but like the rest have said - if it feels comfy then do it.
Cheers
Jason
AnswerID: 309095

Reply By: oz doc - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 20:46

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 20:46
HI Mainey- took one for a test drive before we decided on the Rod. It had a decidedly plastic feel to the finish. I didn't like the positioning of the dial for transition to 4wd - was right next to my left knee and easily knocked/moved. It was quiet to drive, more body roll when cornering and there wasn't much room in the back for the kids.Seemed to have heaps of grunt. ? angle of entry/departure. Didn't stack up against the other dual cabs. Cheers. Oz doc.
AnswerID: 309097

Reply By: ynotme - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 12:18

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 12:18
G'Day Mainey
I have a 2007 Ssangyong Acton twin cab ute, four speed auto, 2ltr turbo.
I was going to keep quite for a bit longer, and make a few more trips before making any noise, however I feel I can make a contribution.
I was advised they are far improved on the Musso.
I have towed a 16' pop top over the mountains from Sydney to Wellington and back, averaging around 12l per 100 ks.
It is a great tow vehicle, and a pleasure to drive, with or without a load.
The tub holds a fair bit of stuff and is secure with a hard cover.
So far, very happy.
ynotme (Tony).
AnswerID: 309202

Reply By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 13:49

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 13:49
Mainey to be serious you would need better reasons to buy one ahead of a Navara or Hilux. First question why would you buy one before a Hilux or Navara.? You haven't specified a legitimate reason, if it's to be different, then fine. The re-sale value is poor once they have done some KM's, your Hilux-Navara's hold their value 2 times better.

Do you feel they drive better than a Hilux-Navara.? They certainly don't look better (Sorry general consensus IMHO LOL).

If you need our opinion and haven't just gone a bitten the bullet and bought one then you shouldn't, because you aren't convinced like many thousands of other people.

At the end of the day it's about personal choice, if you are not wavered by logic, and if you don't care about the reasons you shouldn't buy one, then you have your answer.! ORDER ONE TODAY.!
AnswerID: 309220

Follow Up By: Mainey (wa) - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 05:32

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 05:32
For some reason I thought the Hilux was a ute ??

The Rexton is a Wagon, as is pictured in the link I have posted.
Rexton has Mercedes Benz diesel engine with variable speed turbo.

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 575402

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:12

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:12
Sorry my apologies Rainey. Looks like a nice vehicle, what about the Mazda CX9..? It's getting rave reviews..?
FollowupID: 575453

Sponsored Links